Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 3: My job is the s**t

Another full time Thursday in the Apothecary.  Since I haven't been feeling well, I wore my loosest outfit to work.  It's simple wrap, no lace, no hooks, nothing scary, just a straight pin and my apron.  Sadly, I am not great with straight pins and I have two cuts on my hands from talking like an Italian too close to my threatening pin.  It's my least favorite outfit because it's the least flattering, but it is the loosest.  With the warp, I don't have to pull my stays so tight, which is nice for my poor body.  Looking foxy:


Looking good was the least of my problems at work.  My boss realized that I learn best through quizzing as I said yesterday.  She took it a step further by quizzing me on things that I hadn't learned yet.  It was much easier to tackle how to express things to the public when I was trying to express it to her.  Instead of reading something in a book and trying to make it make sense to others, I am trying to formulate a thought in real time.  While it's interesting to read the books and discuss my thoughts with her, it's even better knowing that I am making real progress learning the shop. Not only did I nail the things I said I knew in my last post, but I learned a bunch more stuff that is actually useful and built on it so I am one step closer to making  full presentation.  I'm even comfortable enough to really start answering peoples questions by myself.  I still have another interpreter with me on the floor, but they let me talk.  

Now, as I said last post I'm terrified of the walk up and down Duke of Gloucester (DoG) Street.  Despite the few members of the adoring public touring the street during this time of the year, I wasn't quite ready for the looks and pictures that would be aimed my way.  The only thing that could chase me from my warm, safe apothecary was a disaster: an overflowed toilet.  Even in a controlled corporate location like CW, they can't manage everything.  The toilet in the 21st century half of the shop, the upstairs part, overflowed around lunch time.  Sadly, the building was made in the 1950s and the floor isn't so good.  The gross toilet water flowed through the floor and came out in the ceiling in the exhibition space.  What a nightmare.  My boss dialed in a 911 to maintenance.  She and I spent our lunch on the ground, on our hands and knees sopping up water from the carpet....in our colonial garb.  And that is how I finally felt ready to handle anything DoG Street could throw at me, not to mention anything was better than hanging around that place for my break.  So...my maiden voyage on DoG Street is conquered.  

Let me tell you, after a day like that, this is how I felt:


Your Humble Servant,

No comments:

Post a Comment