Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 1: Dr. Feelgood

Yesterday was my very first day in the Apothecary in Colonial Williamsburg.  Behind the scenes we take turns downstairs in the shop and upstairs with our secret cove of computers, microwave and refrigerator.  We even have a Brita filter.  There is a steep learning curve on my first day.  When you're behind the counter and in costume, visitors seem to think you know what you're talking about.  I spent my visitor-free time reading the "cheat-sheets" in the drawers so I have some clue about what each dried brown thing is.  I can now tell you all about colonial toothbrushes, the difference between caster oil and Castorium (one is from a bean, the other is the dried musk gland of a Russian beaver. seriously.), and a smattering of colonial medical theory.  I still have so much to learn, I have to know off the top of my head what works for different diseases, and where it is in my shop.  Visitors have lots of questions, and I can't just sit their quietly and smile like I did on my first day.

I'll have to get used to having strangers taking my picture all the time too.  Like any 15 year old girl taking pictures of cute boys on the beach, the visitors pretend to take pictures of something behind me.  Smooth.  I decided to take some pictures of my own.  After using and abusing my two roommates/ladies-in-waiting to get me into the darn stays, I used them again to showcase my descent from colonial shopkeep to 21st century me (with insane bonnet hair).  Check it out:
Outerwear: thick wool cloak and heavy cotton overcoat.

What you'll see me wearing in the shop.


Under pettycoat, pocket and stays

Shift and stays form the "base coat" of my attire.
Stays have to be tight to make the clothes fit correctly.
Authentic leather shoes with bling buckles. 

What can I say, colonial comes naturally.  

Your humble servant,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment